Grudin on digital photography

 Robert Grudin: view from a Maui deck

The humanist Robert Grudin recently gave a talk on "Digital Technology and the Imagination," identifying five major forms of meaning applicable to digital photography:
  • Analytical: concentrating on visual details that form part of a larger whole
  • Graphic: Capturing a vivid experience in a single moment in time
  • Elemental: Expressing what's distinctive about an object or living thing
  • Narrative: Implying that the subject is involved in a story
  • Allusive: Conveying a sense of the symbolic that refers to other topics.
A photograph can have more than one of these attributes, he added. Grudin helpfully put an illustrated summary of his lecture on the web. It includes some practical suggestions about how to realize them with a digital camera. (He uses what he called a "bridge" camera that is in between a point-and-shoot and an SLR in cost and features.)

Comments

  1. Anonymous3/10/2011

    John- I came upon your blog (and blogpire, that's blog-empire, hold on a sec...ok, I got copyright on that) and wow. I never read your writing before. You seem more sincerely enthralled with living through this "old v. new media" age than most who write on the subject. (Most are quite flippant and morose on the subject, come to think of it.)

    As with most blogs I find (and find to like), I just spent too much time devouring posts. That's how I eat crab, too - I spend a long time building a pile, as big a pile as possible, a hoarders pile, and then devour away. But you writers, of course, do the pile building for me.

    thank you, I look forward to more (but the piles will be smaller now...drat...). j burger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts